Wednesday, June 3, 2009

First Day in NYC!

I left for New York today! My flight left Louisville at 6:15am and I arrived at LaGuardia at 11am. From there I met a couple girls from my summer team and we tooke a taxi to our apartments in Manhattan. Staff will train and prepare this week, and students will join us at the start of the weekend.

God has so evidently gone before me! Last Thursday I had lunch with a Chinese student that I have been hosting through a university program during the last 2 years. She told me that one of her friends recently transferred to Polytech University in Brooklyn. Polytech is one of the universities that I will be going to each week in order to meet students. There is a big international student community there and my teammates have seen students show a lot of interest in God and some of them have even accepted Christ in their first year of bringing Campus Crusade to campus.
The student who transferred (I will call her Jenny), hung out with me in February when several of my international friends and I had dinner and I taught the girls to ice-skate. I was able to get her phone number and look forward to getting in touch with her when I arrive in New York. My team leaders said that we will have several socials for international students throughout the summer including a 4th of July party. Please pray that Jenny and I are able to connect and that our time together this summer helps her plug into the ministry on Polytechs campus this fall.
Thank you so much for all of your prayers. Here are some ways that you can continue to pray as ministry in New York begins.

- Pray for my vision. My eyes freeked out a little before I left, so I now have eye drops and have to wear my glasses for a week or so.

- Pray for safety as all of the staff and students arrive

- Pray for the Lord to continue to provide for the financial needs of our staff and students. I still need $1500 for the summer and our students are still ontinuing to raise support until the day they get here.

- Pray for Unity and Fellowship among our team and the other tracks here for the summer

- Pray that I am able to connect with Jenny and help her meet other staff who will be ministering here year round.

- Pray we will be able to get on the campuses to do ministry. Last year the campus team had to be creative in order to even walk on campuses and meet students. Pray the the Lord will open doors for us here.

Thank you so much! I am so excited to be your ambassador here. As I write I am in my apartment. We are 2 blocks from the Empire State Building and Macy's. Time's Square is just around the corner. And our apartment has access to the roof where you can see everything lit up! I am so blessed to be so near to the people God has brought us here to minister to. I cannot wait to share all the stories of how the Lord is at work.

Blessings,

Abigail

No comments:

Post a Comment