Saturday, June 6, 2009

Day 4: Morning with the Lord and Praying for students

Today was so encouraging! We were given the morning to spend with the Lord. I went to a little park nearby (Bryant Park for those of you who know the city) for two hours. It was less then a five minute walk and a perfect place to meet with Jesus. It was fun to watch the city wake up. Being there helped make me feel more at home in this busy place, rather then just a visitor.
Our team came together in the afternoon to share "Life-Maps" or, the story of how God has been working in our lives. We each had 15 minutes to talk about our heritage, heros, hard times, high times, and hand of God experiences. The members of our team work on many different campuses during the year so it was fun to get to know one another on a deeper level. After this we were given the names of the students we will be discipling. I have 2 girls. One is a freshman from UNC Wilmington, and the other is a Junior from Lenoir-Rhyn (a school in the Charlotte, NC area). I was able to get to know them through their applications, pray for them, and plan our time together. Then I gave each of them a call. One of the girls has had her bags packed for a week and a half! She was bubbling over with excitement about joining us for project. It is evident that God has his fingerprints on this summer and I am eager to see how each of these girls will grow and be used of Him as we are together.
After the phone calls, we began planning Bible studies. I will be co-leading a study with another staff women and the girls we each disciple will all be in the group together (4 in all). Very soon (on Tuesday!) 19 students from all over the country will be flying in for project. Please pray for them as they continue to raise support and pray for their safety as they travel here.
Brandon and Ansley are our team leaders. They have been living and doing ministry in Brooklyn all year so they invited us for dinner at their home. It was fun to see the neighborhood side of the city. It was a really fun area. We ended it with Italian ice and a 45 minute Subway ride back to Manhattan. It was a wonderful day.
Tomorrow we will be heading to Redeemer (a Presbyterian church in Manhattan pastored by Tim Keller). He is the one I quoted in my letter about New York and I am excited to hear from him in person. We also have more work in store for tomorrow and then are going to try to go the red carpet at the Tony awards. If you are watching them at home look for us! :)
Blessings,
Abigail

No comments:

Post a Comment