Tuesday, November 9, 2010

New Life

When the first Chilean miner ascended through the 2000+ miles of earth to the surface and saw his family for the first time in almost 3 months I wept. With each subsequent miner I held my breath and cried with their families until finally, the last of the rescue workers returned from the cavern that had threatened the lives of so many. The President of Chile greeted each miner with an admonishment to use their rebirth well. And the world watched with me.

As the story unfolded, I wondered at how all the world was rooting for each of the miners’ release, and yet there is a danger more immanent then a faulty mine that threatens the souls of every human on earth. Our sins traps and enslaves us. It dooms us to death spiritually that will last not for 3 months, but for all eternity. Our response to this peril is often shocking. As shocking as the Chilean president’s advisors who told him the cost would be too great to try to retrieve the minors and they may die anyway. What if he had headed their suggestion?

In Isaiah the Lord said "I am the LORD; I have called you in righteousness; I will take you by the hand and keep you; I will give you as a covenant for the people, a light for the nations, to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness.” Isaiah 42:6-7

And in Isaiah 42:16

“And I will lead the blind in a way that they do not know, in paths that they have not known I will guide them. I will turn the darkness before them into light, the rough places into level ground. These are the things I do, and I do not forsake them.”

As people who have been set free through Christ, we have the opportunity and privilege of being part of the most EPIC rescue plan. And you have joined with me. Thank you for partnering in this endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment